Saturday, November 27, 2010

Triptych


Assignment: Create a series of three works of digital photographic montage in Adobe Photoshop from specific source material.The subject matter for each of the three works must be, at minimum, the same 25 scanned or downloaded images. At least one of the images must be of a word. Each panel of the triptych must include all of 25 source images. Consider the conceptual link between image, object and word tha
t will be created by their combination.


I
scanned a number of images of Medieval art from a postcard collection from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. My "word" is in Latin, so I don't know what it means, but it is contained in one of the manuscripts which these illustrations of Medieval women in everyday life illuminated. I preferred not to translate--it makes the "once upon a time" theme more real. The green rope is my cat's toy; the polyhedron is by Leonardo da Vinci, and the Buddha, animals, and other photos were downloaded from the web or isolated from one of the Medieval scans. The background pattern was the inside cover of the postcard book, which I moved as it was being scanned, creating ripples. Left to myself, I probably would have stopped adding before all 25 images were incorporated, being rather of the "less is more" school; nevertheless, with everything in there, I had a lot more fun looking at it...

1 comment:

  1. Your images are all cropped well and cut very clean, this helps to make your triptych very crisp looking. I would have liked to see more of your images working together though. Overlapping and making relationships with the other pieces. This would make the piece more coesive, creating a stronger triptych.

    ReplyDelete